Monday, December 14, 2009

Sci-fi Miniatures and Scale, non-power armour

On the Ambush Alley forum, I was asked to post a size comparison similar to what I had done before, except with non-power armour GZG 25mm miniatures. So here they are:
A GZG 15mm Ixx, a GZG 25mm NSL Panzer Grenadier, a Caesar 1/72 modern French soldier, and a Caesar 1/72 nun.
A close-up of the Ixx, 25mm NSL Panzer Grenadier, and 1/72 French soldier.

After I took those pictures, something felt wrong, and I realized that I based the 25mm GZG figure on a washer so that the base was taller than the others. I then compensated for this by placing the other figures on washers of the same size.
These are the same as above, but with washers under the other figures so the 25mm GZG is not propped up unfairly.

What to think then? While the GZG 25mm power armour miniature can get away with being bulkier simply by virtue of being power armour, the non-power armour 25mm soldier doesn't look quite right with 1/72 miniatures. The proportions of the GZG miniature, even though it's miles better than heroic scale "28mm," still doesn't quite match the realistic proportions of 1/72s. So even as bulky sci-fi armour, it still doesn't really fit. But like always, this comes down to personal preference.

3 comments:

  1. All I know is that I want to play the Nun faction at the club; bring them figures out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite tempted by your set up and I ended up buying some 25mm Kra'Vaks to fight against my Caesar Modern US Army sets. They definitely look the part of the big bad alien thingie. When I get them I'll just how good a choice they actually are. Keep on gaming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dimitri, that sounds like a good idea. You have to put up some pictures when you do get them. :)

    ReplyDelete